Team behavior theory ( Tuckman) and leadership theories (Hershey and Blanchard, Adair) can be brought together to into a simple model to show how different Leadership styles are required across the life cycle of an activity.
Life Cycle Leadership
Life Cycle Leadership! The team behaviour theories of Tuckman and leadership theories of Hersey and Blanchard plus Adair can be brought together to into a simple model. This will show how different Leadership styles are required across the life cycle of an activity as illustrated in the diagram below.
- At the start an activity, task or project , the individual, team or group can be confused and uncoordinated!
- The leader needs to be more directive; focusing on the task at hand. They promote ownership by the individual or team member and encourage their confidence.
- As the team develops, the leader focuses on coaching. This to to get the group into agreeing how they will behave to complete the task! They sort out how they will work together
- There may be conflict. If so the leader uses a facilitative approach to lead them to resolution.
- As the individual or team becomes more confident and self-managed, the leader concentrates on leading the team overall and develops a delegating style!
All this leaves most leaders with a challenge. ‘How do I develop the competence and confidence to use a wide range of leadership styles?’
Well, you could start by following our series of posts on the team development work of Dr Tuckman. Here is a link to the first post; Forming the Team: Tuckman Part 1
Wendy Smith is a career consultant, life coach and business coach with depth of experience in management, coaching and personal development. That experience means she is equally at home helping clients find a new career direction, starting-up new businesses or dealing with life’s more challenging personal issues. You can contact her at email@example.com
Wendy has written a little eBook on how to get on with your boss and a book on job search – you can find her books on Amazon at this link