Are you a good team leader?
Are you a good team leader? Take my test and find out.
Are you a good team leader? See how well you are doing in the leadership stakes. If you are serious about being a good leader, then you should be able to give serious answers to all these questions.
- There is no “best” style of leadership. How ready are you to be flexible? What do you think this means?
- The most successful leaders adapt their leadership style to the ability of the people they lead and the needs of the task. Do you know what those are? How will you find out?
- At the start of a task, good leaders explain what, how, why, when, where and what to do to start the task. Do you have that information ready for your team? How will you get it?
- Good Leaders recognize that competence and confidence can wax and wane over a project. How will you monitor those variations? How will you be ready to intervene?
- Good leaders share leadership when the group is mature. This helps to keep morale and energy up. How strong is your ego feeling today? How will you share leadership?
- Enthusiasm and confidence can take a knock when the group realizes just how complicated the challenge is going to be. How are you preparing to monitor this, then step in and support?
- A good leader develops the competence and commitment of the team so that they become self-motivated. Have you got the resources available to do this?
- Good leaders share the vision-making, as well as the vision. Do you have a process in place to do this?
- A good leader refreshes the vision on the journey. Have you made plans for this?
- A good leader communicates clearly and listens well. Are you ready to ask your team how well you are communicating?
Wendy Smith is a career consultant, life coach and business coach with depth of experience in organisational development, management, coaching and personal development. That experience means she is equally at home helping clients find a new career direction, starting-up new businesses or dealing with life’s more challenging personal issues. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy has written a little eBook on how to get on with your boss and a book on job search – you can find all her books on Amazon at this link