Right now most people are focused just on keeping their jobs. They are not thinking about going for promotion. But this is the time when more leadership and creativity is needed than ever before, just to keep businesses afloat.
If you have the the right qualities, prepare well and have just a little bit of luck, this could be your moment! Now is the time to;
- Be the one that volunteers for the difficult task.
- Make clear that you are prepared to take on more responsibility.
- Where you see a problem looming, be the one who comes up with a solution –
- Be there with new and ingenious ways to cut costs
- Have ideas for new niches
- Have new skills if they are required
- Prove what you can do!
Make sure the boss knows you are thinking about the organization, not just yourself! But when you do something new or extra make sure your boss does know about it. If it’s not possible to give you a raise now, then can you negotiate something for when things improve – get it on the record! Can you tie how much you receive to that improvement with your present pay as a fall-back?
Go for it! You’ve got nothing to lose and at the very worst you will be someone they want to keep around – right now that is a bonus. Good Luck!
This is a new version of a post that appeared a while ago on this blog – I thought it was a subject worth of a re-post
- Career Development – Dealing With A Boss Who Feels Jealous.
- Career Development – Dealing With a New Boss
- Career Development – Dealing with a difficult boss